Regular Attendance is Good for Learning
Regular attendance at school is important for your child’s education. Disruptions to your child’s school attendance can have a significant impact on his/her academic performance. Extended family vacations during the school year are strongly discouraged.
If Your Child is Absent
The school should be notified of an anticipated absence due to out-of-town trips, family emergencies, or any medical or dental appointments.
1. Call the school (546-8022 x 5463) on the morning of the first day of the absence.
2. Let us know if your child has a contagious disease, such as chickenpox, measles or mumps. We will watch for the symptoms in other students.
3. Send a note when your child returns to school. Include your child’s name, date(s) of absence, reason for absence, and your signature.
Attendance and Tardy Alert
Every time your child is absent the Manhattan Beach Unified School District (“District”) loses $35. The state funds that we receive for the daily attendance of students are not paid whenever your child is absent from school for any reason.
If your child does need to be out of school, please consider providing the District with a voluntary contribution of $35 for each day your child is absent.
Being punctual for school is critical to maximize instructional time and minimize disruption. If your child arrives after the 8:15 a.m. bell (8:00 a.m./11:25 a.m. for am/pm kindergarten) he or she must first report to the office to check-in. The state does not recognize any excused tardies, which means that anytime your child is late for school he or she will receive an unexcused tardy. In the event your child receives four or more tardies, the parent(s) will receive a warning letter from the office of the principal. In the event of accumulating eight tardies, a more formal letter citing California Educational Code (35291.5) will be sent home and 12 or more tardies requires a meeting with parents and the principal. Please make sure your child is in his or her seat, whether a desk or on the rug, no later than 8:15 a.m. (8:00 a.m./11:25 a.m. for am/pm kindergarten) each school day!
Grand View students in grades first through fifth are recognized for perfect attendance. In order to receive an attendance award, students must have zero absences and no more than three tardies in a particular trimester.
Independent Study Contracts
Independent study contracts are a way for the District to receive our daily attendance funding when your child will be absent for a week or more on a family trip. Please contact the office one week prior to your trip to make the necessary arrangements.
Picking Up Your Child During School Hours
If you need to pick up your child before the end of the school day:
1. Send a note in the morning with your child stating the time that you wish to pick up your child and the reason for the early release.
2. Meet your child in the school office, not the classroom. Teachers cannot release a student to a parent directly from the classroom.
3. Sign the release clipboard in the office. Your child will meet you in the office to be released.
Please make sure that all persons picking up your child during the school year are listed on your child’s Student Emergency Information Card.
We will not release a student to anyone except the parent, legal guardian or a person you have authorized in writing on the Student Emergency Information Card.
We recommend that court custody orders be provided to the school office to assure that there is no question about the rights of co-parents to visit or pick up their child.