Please keep emergency cards updated, to protect your child’s safety. Make sure that all persons who will be picking up your child during the school year are listed on your card. By law, we can not release students to individuals not listed on their card. Please make sure that the persons you designate live in the area and are available in case of an emergency. Please provide the office with current and updated copies of all custody agreements and court orders regarding visitation and custody.
Efforts will be made to provide parents with information in an event of a disaster, as much as it is possible. Make sure to provide the front office with the most updated contact information, including email addresses. Also be sure to visit the District website at www.mbusd.org for updated parent messages pertaining to an emergency.
In the event of a disaster, please follow the guidelines below:
- School is the safest place for students during an emergency. Recently modernized buildings meet stringent public safety codes.
- The primary role of school is to care for the safety and welfare of the children.
- School personnel are trained to follow procedures, to give instruction and guidance to students, and are required by law to remain on duty during an emergency.
- Assure your personal safety first. Children will be cared for until your arrival.
- Remember: the need for safety outweighs the need for speed.
- Prepare to arrive calm, patient and ready to follow school personnel directions. Encourage other parents to do the same.
- If possible, walk to school. Streets may be clogged with emergency vehicles.
- Leave a note at home indicating when you left and where you went. Others may be looking for you.
- Do not call the school. Phone lines should be used by emergency personnel only and must remain open at all times.
ARRIVAL AT SCHOOL:
- Campus will be closed and parents will be expected to wait until ALL students are accounted for and authorized personnel begin the Student Release Process.
- Students will be signed out in an orderly manner. Removing students from campus without signing out will hamper efforts to account for everyone’s safety.
- Students will be evacuated to the assembly area by class. The assembly area is located on the upper playground.
- Classroom teachers will release students to persons listed on the Student Emergency Information Card or the emergency form in the individual student’s emergency zip-lock packet stored in the classroom.
- The parents or emergency designee will be required to present identification and sign a release form.
- Items to Bring:
- Driver’s license or photo identification
- Medical identification and information
- Off-site Evacuation: Signs will be posted to indicate whether students are at Live Oak Park or Sand Dune Park.
Classroom and Site Provisions:
- GV Safety Plan/Safety Clipboard in each classroom and common areas
- Evacuation Map
- Classroom emergency backpack supplies
- Individual student emergency zip-lock packets (supplies assembled at home and stored in the classroom)
- Site emergency bin