- For Kindergarten Drop-off and Pick-up Procedures, scroll down.
- Click here to view map of the Main Loading Zone
Grand View’s enrollment is bigger than ever. We need your help to keep the school and your children safe. EVERY child’s safety is important to us. It remains our highest priority to ensure that students enter and exit cars in a safe and organized way. We ask everyone to correctly follow our new pick-up and drop-off procedures. Failure to do so creates chaos, frustration and unsafe conditions. Each family should discuss these new loading and walking procedures.
We encourage you to consider walking your children to school each day. Not only would it help alleviate our serious traffic problem, but it also encourages good exercise and a healthy lifestyle. Walking to school and carpooling are more important than ever!
Please avoid driving on 27th Street, Manor and Vista. These are our designated walking and biking routes to school. They are heavily traveled by our students and will only remain the safest route we can provide if we can keep driving to a minimum. Please keep this in mind as we are a city with such limited sidewalks!
- Be your child’s best example. Please be courteous and follow all safety guidelines at all times.
- No arrivals prior to 8:00A for 1st through 5th graders. No supervision is provided.
- Please DO NOT STOP at the lower playground to either drop-off or pick-up students. This is a very dangerous location in our parking lot and traffic quickly gets backed up onto 24th Street. This makes it very dangerous for children to enter the school area. Please continue to drive up as close to the upper playground as you can. No students permitted in parking lot without an accompanying adult.
- Use crosswalks to cross streets and loading zone lanes.
- Follow all directions from school safety personnel. They can see potential problems you may not.
- Students are to be picked-up promptly at dismissal. There is no supervision in the playgrounds or down at Ladera on Bell Avenue after school hours.
- Devote more time and be extra cautious on rainy or foggy days. Drive with your headlights on, to see and be seen.
- Our local streets are very narrow. Please drive slowly and watch for children!
Dropping Off at the 24th Street Entrance:
- Pull your car as far forward into the loading zone as traffic allows. Unloading zone begins at the upper playground fence and runs the entire length of the school (see attached map). Drivers may drop-off students along entire length of Loading Zone.
- Students can unload from PASSENGER SIDE of vehicle only. The driver should remain in the vehicle at all times and all driver side doors are to remain closed. No trunk unloading allowed in this zone.
- Keep pulling forward and fill in all gaps in Loading Zone Lane.
- Have all school materials including backpack and lunch ready before student exits vehicle.
- Once your student has exited your vehicle you may exit the parking lot via the bypass lane to the driver’s left. This lane is for driving only — no loading, unloading or stopping at any time.
- Exit parking lot by turning right onto 24th street. Right turn only during school hours.
Picking up from School on 24th Street Entrance:
- Pull your car as far forward into the loading zone as traffic allows. Student pick-up is available from Loading Zone Lane only.
- Supervisors will call children from playground dismissal waiting area. Students must wait in this designated area, not on grass area in front of classrooms.
- No honking or signaling to students from your vehicle at any time. No cell phone use allowed while waiting for your child.
- Once your child has entered your car on passenger side of vehicle, please exit parking lot via bypass lane to driver’s left. This lane is for driving only — no loading, unloading or stopping at any time.
- Exit parking lot by turning right onto 24th street. New rule: right turn only during school hours.
- No student loading or unloading is allowed along Vista Drive, Manor or any other neighborhood streets.
Dropping Off on Bell Avenue:
- Cars are strongly encourages to use Blanche Road to access Bell Avenue.
- 27th Street is reserved for bikers. PLEASE do not use 27th Street to access Bell Avenue.
- Cars should pull as far forward as possible in the loading zone.
- Children should exit from the passenger side of the vehicle ONLY. Cars moving in the bypass lane make exiting form the driver’s side extremely dangerous!
- BY STATE LAW CARS MAY NOT BE LEFT UNATTENDED IN THE WHITE LOADING ZONE. MPPD WILL BE ISSUING CITATIONS TO THOSE VIOLATING DRIVING AND PARKING LAWS.
Kindergarten Pick-Up/ Drop-Off Procedures
Last year there were many improvements made to our parking lot. Walking to school still seems to be the best, and most fun option! We understand that some of you may still need to drive. Here are the pick-up procedures if you need to drive to Grand View:
- Using the far right side of the carpool lane only, students may be let out on the right side of your automobile to walk to their assigned classroom. No need to park and sign students in. Students will then quietly wait outside their classroom until they are greeted by their teacher.
- You can also have siblings drop off your little one at their classroom.
- If you do not routinely drive to school for drop-off, feel free to walk your child up to their room. However, please be aware that unless it is your scheduled volunteer day, parents are to say good-bye to their child outside of the classroom in order for our school day to begin on time. (8:00A and 11:25P)
- All families should have received two colored name cards from their classroom teacher. The color of your card denotes your classroom teacher. This name card must be placed in the lower right hand corner of your automobiles dash. Please make certain that caregivers who routinely pick up your child have a name card.
- All students will be led by their classroom teacher to the front of the school. There, students will be dismissed through the carpool line at 11:20A for A.M. kindergarten and 2:45P for P.M kindergarten. You must remain in your car. Your child will be escorted to your car.
- No students will be dismissed at their classroom.
- If your child has an after school enrichment class, they will wait with a partner teacher outside of their classroom until the appropriate enrichment personnel arrives for them.
Walkers: There is a walking line clearly marked near the flagpole. Please wait for a
Kindergarten teacher to greet you at the door and call for your child to come out. Students are not permitted to leave without a Kindergarten teacher instructing them to do so. If you are walking with a stroller, please wait at the bottom of the stairway leading to the front doors of the school, and a Kindergarten teacher will escort your child to you.
**Dogs are never permitted on the campus, including the parking lot. When picking up your child, please leave dogs at home.
Thank you for your continuing support in making Grand View a safe and productive environment for all.
Silence is Golden: Please do not wait in the halls or outside classrooms before dismissal.
Children are to leave the classroom and hall areas promptly upon dismissal. We ask that parents and caregivers wait on the grass hill above the lower playground rather than in the halls or outside the classrooms, so that we keep noise and distractions away from the classrooms. PEP & Kindergarten parents may pick up their children in front of the classroom at dismissal time. Playing on playground equipment located at upper, lower and Kindergarten area is prohibited from 8:00A to 3:00P.
Supervision Before and After School
Before school supervision is provided from 8:00A to 8:15A on the upper playground only. Please do not allow your child to arrive at school before 8:00A. Supervision is not provided before 8A or after school. Upon arrival, all students must wait at the cafeteria benches on the upper playground. Students are not allowed to wander the campus and/or wait in front of their classrooms. Instruct your child to walk home immediately when school is let out. Playgrounds are off limits to everyone except school staff conducting classes.