Pier to pier walk Help us achieve our GV goal of 100 walkers!! Virtual counts too!! $30 for an amazing cause, even if you cannot walk. Every Gator that signs up to participate(virtually or to walk on the day) in the pier to pier Skechers walk, on October 29th will earn a raffle ticket. Every Friday in October, one lucky winner will win a pink box to trade in for 1 dozen donuts!
KIDS HELPING KIDS, with shoes that fit and socks that rock
Teaching our kids to pay it forward, impacting lives one pair of shoes at a time.
As our kids miles accumulate, and complete their 1st marathon distance, we will donate a pair of shoes in their name to a sister school in Lawndale though the non profit called“Shoes that Fit”. Please support our amazing sponsors when you can:Legends Socks, Kinecta, Skechers, Tempest Free Running Acadmey, Rotary, Bay Club and BCHD.
RUN CLUB DETAILS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
|Parent Waiver:||Click here|
|How to access your stats:||Click here|
|2017/18 Runner ID Numbers:||Runner ID’s click here|
|Days:||Monday, Wednesday and Friday|
|Time:||7:45am-8:05am (Start anytime in this window! Even 5 mins running is great!)|
|Where:||The lower grass field|
|Whats a mile?||7 laps|
|Who is eligible to run:||All Gators welcome. Parents welcome & encouraged to run, too!|
|first 200 Get a Free Drifit T-Shirt:||Have parent sign waiver and ask any parent volunteer at Run Club|
Run, walk, skip, bring a friend, bring a parent, run once a month or every Run Club day. A fun, safe supportive environment, teaching our kids that exercise is an important part of our everyday life.
Multiple studies have shown that cardio exercise in the morning promotes better focus, mood, engagement and academic performance in class!
“Exercise is the single most powerful tool you have to optimize your brain function, and even 10 minutes of activity changes your brain,” according to a Harvard Medical School psychiatrist John Ratey, author of the book, Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain.
FAQ- Run Club Frequently asked questions
When: 7:45am to 8:05am Monday, Wednesday and Fridays.
Backpacks: Backpacks can be lined up on along the lower field or Kids can hang their backpacks outside classrooms, but please no knocking on classroom doors to chat with teachers, who may be preparing for their day.
Where: Lower grass field . Start line by the baseball backstop
Who can run? All Grand View Gators. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to run or walk also! (Use it as your morning workout!)
What if it is wet? Wet shoes OK, Wet clothes not. If it is raining or rain looks imminent, run club will close for the day. We will send an email out at 7am to confirm no Run Club that day!
How does my child participate? Every runner’s parent must sign the consent/liability waiver form . Thats it! Just show up. A personalized Run Club card is waiting for every child at the field!
How it works:
- Each Run Club day, boxes (1 per class) will be lined up along the fence with cards
- Run cards contain students name, Run Club number, teacher and bar code.
- After collecting their card from the box, kids stretch & running commences at 7.45am.
- As the runners complete a lap, they will pass by a parent with a digital scanner
- At 8.05am, kids will replace their run cards into their class box.
- Laps will be uploaded each run club day.
- Announcements will be made for recognition, by Mrs Doyle
- Kids will have access to their progress online by downloading the Stride Track Ap or going online
What if I lose my card?: “A learning opportunity” presents itself. It was most likely either filed incorrectly and removed from the field by a runner. Cards must stay on the field and returned to boxes daily. We will store safely for you. Feel free to let us know how many laps your runner did without their card, and we can add these manually.
Additional cards can be emailed to the parent at any time. The parent will be responsible for printing and laminating the new card (laminating can be done at school) . Please leave all cards at Run Club to avoid this!
Acknowledgement announced weekly by Mrs Doyle
- Classroom and teacher with highest number runners for the week.
- Classroom and teacher with the highest number of laps run.
- Grade with the highest number runners for the week.
Kids that have achieved their first marathon and a pair of shoes has been donated in their name
- 5 miles (35 laps of the field) runners receive a special “Gator popsicle stick” to be traded in for a popsicle on Wednesday after school at the cafeteria window.
- 13 miles or 1/2 marathon-Receive a Grand View pedometer
- 26 Miles or full marathon- freceive a special recognition band. Plus hang a tag on the baseball back stop to represent the pair of shoes that was donated in their name.
- Spot Prizes this year include: Pairs shoes from Skechers, Gift Cards. There will be less focus on prizes for the kids this year, and more on giving !
Contact Info: We would love your help with handing out popsicles, scanning, set up etc. Please email Vicki Tyler if you can help or have any questions.
Run Club is proudly sponsored by Kinecta, Skechers, the Murad Family Foundation and Beach Cities Health District, Skywatch, Fresh Brothers and Rotary.